Sunday, August 14, 2005

Identity

"Arizona Leads the Nation in Identity Theft" was the headline of a newspaper article that I recently saw. I'm sure I skimmed over it, dismissing it as one of those things that "could never happen to me." This weekend, I changed my tune.

Saturday morning. Alone, I made myself some eggs and surfed the web for news about that girl who went missing in Aruba awhile back. Suddenly, I'm startled by some vigorous pounding on our front door. I don't answer. More pounding. I'm getting nervous. "Can I help you" I say through the door. "Open the door" he demands. "No." I assert myself. What am I, stupid? I've watched enough CourtTV to know what happens when a woman opens the door to an angry stranger.

The man launches into a tirade, angrily accusing my husband of writing a bad check to him for a $2000 motorcycle. "Motorcycle?" I ask, really confused. "But my husband doesn't even ride motorcycles!" But the man insists, repeating Aaron's name.

The realization of what is happening begins to dawn on me. Unless my husband has a secret double life involving motorcycles, he was the victim of identity theft. We suspected that our mail was stolen about two weeks prior, and the day we left for vacation, we were informed that someone, claiming to be Aaron's brother, was trying to obtain a copy of our apartment lease.

I started crying. Through tears, I explain to the angry shopowner what had happened. I showed him a picture of Aaron, to prove that it wasn't him. He calmed down. He showed me a copy of the bad check, and said that the impersonator even had a driver's license with Aaron's name.

Later, we learned that fake Aaron was running around town, using our credit card checks to enjoy an expensive hotel, rental car and two movies, on us.

In today's technological day and age, our "identities" are tied up in credit cards, bank accounts, driver's licenses. In the blink of an eye, our sense of security was shaken, our vulnerablity exposed.

It's a painful but much-needed lesson. I'm reminded not to get too attached to my worldy identity, to the trappings of life that I call my "security." I have a much greater identity to attend to, one that can't be taken away.

"There is far more to life for us. We are citizens of heaven." Phil. 3:20, The Message

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is intriging. Since I am technicaly "Challenged" I find it interesting to use this medium for more than information exchange.

Identity and Contentment are so intricately connected. Contentment begins with honesty about who you are and who you are not.

Our identity of "Child of God" is more than a lable we slap on our foreheads. It is a circumcised heart. It is an exchanged life, His for mine and mine for His.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" A wisdom that leads us into a relationship with the only One who can truly bring us contentment.When we are in relationship with Him we are always involved in the "Biggest Thing".

In faithfulness we listen to His still small voice and His purpose for us is revealed. Because He has created us for that purpose we will be satisfied.

If we are honest we know we must change. Our old identity is dead. We are new creatures in Christ. The choice is always ours.Our adversary uses the lust of the flesh the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life to confuse us. Stand Firm! Fully grasp the Truth that He is your way,your truth and your life.