I walked out of the grocery store and into the cool night air, grasping a bag of all-purpose flour and pawing through my purse for keys. I had just braved the night-before-Thanksgiving frenzy, slightly irritated that Aaron had forgotten to insure that we had all the ingredients for pumpkin pie.
I realized that a sad-looking homeless man was sitting in the shadows, directly in front of my car. An unusual combination of fear and compassion rushed through me as I assesed the potentially uncomfortable situation and possible escape routes.
There was no way to avoid it.
"Darlin, can you spare some change?"
I didn’t look up. I pretended not to hear him. I walked purposefully so as not to appear as uneasy as I felt. I could feel his eyes on my back, but it felt more like his eyes on my soul, searing my conscience into a state of awareness.
I drove away, but my mind lingered. What was I supposed to do, stop and talk to him? A young woman, alone in a dimly lit parking lot? Should I have given him money – I only had a 5 dollar bill and some change. Maybe it was a scam. Or not. Maybe he wanted to buy booze or drugs? Surely I didn't want to contribute to that. I'd already written my check to the nearby homeless shelter to provide Thanksgiving meals. I'd done my part, right?
My attempts at rationalization were futile. I'd already drunk an unsavory cocktail of guilt and helplessness; I was now inebriated with uncertainty, my head clouded. What once made sense was now blurred and distorted. Why did I feel so much for a man I didn't know and would probably never know?
When I got home I woefully recounted my feelings to Aaron, expecting to hear comforting words. Instead, he encouraged my pain.
"It's good that you felt that way. It means you're human."
C.S. Lewis wrote that "God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
I am acutely aware that I am generally oblivious, self-absorbed and focused on my life and the small world that it encompasses. I don't often encounter the human face of suffering -- the dirty, gritty, unbathed and unloved side of life.
Yet when I do, and even when I don't, I want to do more that just hear the call and feel the pain. My feelings remind me to be compelled to action.
To be moved, literally moved, by compassion.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005
loudly
Posted by
Marisa
at
1:03 PM
Labels: reflecting
4 comments:
Hi Mija!
One of the stories I sometimes share about the year I homeschooled you is this; I remember suddenly hearing the swoosh and slap of a book being disdainfully closed, accompanied by the sound of an exasperated sigh.I turned to see a look of disgust on your face. You had been working on an assignment about character. In reply to my question about what was the matter, your frustrated comment was "It doesnt feel very good to find out you don't have any compassion"! God promises to replace our hearts of stone with a heart of flesh. As the song says "Amazing love....His spirit is within us. He loves to show Himself strong in our weakness. May you always be moved.
Its me again!
just wanted to thank you for writing these blogs.
Tonight I received an email from a friend sharing that she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Somehow your comments about compassion were used by the Lord to comfort me.
The anguish of compassion can be paralyzing. Somehow the reminder of the necessity of it and the good results it brings helped release me from its paralyzing hold. Freed to move.
Hi Mom,
I feel that God has definitely softened my heart since then.
The day after I wrote that blog, I was walking into Panda Express with Aaron and another homeless man attempted to approach us. I couldn't believe it, it was so disturbing, like God was trying to tell me something. I feel the need to do something - not just talk about it. I am going to look into volunteering at a shelter or something similar.
I am sorry to hear about your friend; I know your compassion and love will help her get through it.
Mari
I saw this quote in "Slice of Infinity" from RZIM MINISTRIES.
"As one truth-seeker of old has said, "The nature of water is soft, that of stone is hard; but if a bottle is hung above the stone, allowing the water to fall drop by drop, it wears away the stone. So it is with the Word of God; it is soft and our heart is hard, but the man who hears the Word of God often, opens his heart to the fear of God."(2)
(2) The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, (Cistercian Publications, 1987).
The Living Water in God's Word molds our "decietful hearts" Jer. 17:9 and transforms our lives.By
His Grace, His Wisdom, His power, His Sovereignty He does it all. Our cooperation brings us the immense benefits of a vibrant intimate relationship with the one true and living God who personifies Love moment by moment in Jesus Christ.We must guard daily againt taking our relationship with Him for granted .
I pray you will follow through and reach out. Doing it to bring Him glory will satisfy your soul.
Hugs and Blessings, Mom
Post a Comment