Friday, April 21, 2006

the great escape

We're off to commune with nature this weekend, in a cozy mountain retreat in Northern Arizona.

I'd like to say that we've been planning this romantic getaway for a few weeks now. But I won't lie.

It's a spontaneous escape from our mailbox and the onslaught of unexpected bills that have hounded us as of late (see: unexpected airline tickets, unexpected tax payment, unexpected hospital bill, unexpected car repairs).

I am at the point where if I see one more bill come in that isn't in our budget, there is a real possibility that I might hurl myself off our second-floor balcony and into oncoming traffic.

So I'm being a wee dramatic. But I am stressed, and my stressed-out-ness is causing a ripple effect, disturbing the normally placid waters of my marital life.

I plan on taking a stack of books to read, swinging on the rope hammock on the front porch, watching movies and eating s'mores by the fire.

Who knows? Maybe it'll even be romantic. It will be nice to have some alone time together, and if previous vacations are any indication, spending time immersed in natural surroundings tends to cause a happy and even amorous mood in my hubby.

Me? Not so much. But as long as he brings the bug spray, we'll be just fine.

No comments: