Everything is fine.
And I think that's the problem.
Yesterday, in brief: Awaken. Struggle to make new haircut comply with inner vision. Pack lunch. Fight morning traffic. Work 8 hours. Fight evening traffic. Kiss husband hello. Water plants and check on hummingbird feeder level. Try a new recipe for dinner. Settle onto the couch for "Deal or No Deal" and "LOST." Shriek uncontrollably during both shows. Walk around the park a few times. Have minor tiff with spouse. Resolve tiff with spouse. Examine face in mirror. Sleep.
I realize that some days have to be run-of-the-mill. I'm sure I wouldn't live very long if every day followed the script from an action flick.
But when things are 'How-are-you-today?-Just-Fine.," I have a tendency to fall into that ever-present yet always-dangerous terrority that my friend Heather and I dub the worse sin of all - "blah-ness."
I feel it festering under my skin, even as I do nothing about it. To make matters worse, I feel insecure about writing because I have convinced myself that no one (except maybe my mom) is interested in reading about my day-to-day. So I don't write, and in turn I cease to explore and discover the treasures that abound in my common world. It is a vicious cycle.
It could be that summer has arrived and the heat has microwaved my brain into mush, making it nearly impossible to have a deep thought. To riff on the summer metaphor a bit further (or is it a simile? See - I'm too lazy to Google it), my complacency is like the noonday sun, shining so hot and bright that it flattens my personal landscape into nothing more than a one-dimensional cardboard cut-out.
Oddly enough, I am calm, settled and very happy with the tangibles of my life. But I am sick of being unchallenged and unexamined. Too bad they don't make an energy drink for the mental sluggishness.
Thursday, May 11, 2006
eh
Posted by
Marisa
at
5:25 PM
Labels: ordinary life, reflecting
5 comments:
Hello Mija
Yes your mom is very interested in your day to day.
Not only that I enjoy your evocative writing style.
Well tonight our weekly home bible study met and the topic was on restoration. We are studying the kings of Israel. Tonight was on Asa who was one of the few good ones.
Asa had 10 years of peace. He was trying to restore Israel to its worship of God. It was a time for building up and tearing down the old idols.
I hope you are not equating peace with blah-ness.
If our spiritual growth is flatlining it has become stagnant or is declining. (There is usually some area in our lives that could use some attention) The challenge is always there. Find the beauty in peace and crucify the blahs, enjoy the work of restoration.
"The eyes of the Lord are looking throughout the earth to support those whose hearts are turned toward Him."
As we keep our focus on Him, He transforms us. Its a long term project.
Hugs & Blessings
Hey Beautiful!! Please don't stop writing. I look forward to your writing. Your 101 list inspired me to write my own. I will share that with you soon. I have wanted to write a comment for a long time. I am sorry, I will be better...it's not like it takes long. I miss you friend. Lots of Love Val
I LOVE your writing style - it breathes life, not blah-ness.
Don't ever ever ever give up.
I really appreciate the kind and encouraging words.
Mom, thanks for reminding me that transformation and self-discovery can't happen overnight. I'm impatient, you know!
Val, I miss you and am so excited that you have created your own 101 in 1001. You should start your own blog!
And anonymous, I wish I knew who you were because that is one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. :)
Perhaps you should do something different like... I don't know... take an archaeology class and learn about dinosaurs. Think outside the box!
Post a Comment