Wednesday, October 18, 2006

sickness and silence

I'm really beginning to think that Ohio has it in for me. Or my immune system at least.

I seem to get sick everytime we go. Two years ago, it was a head cold from the bitter weather, this past Christmas it was migranes (from my TMJ) and the stomach flu. This time, I came down with strep throat. Ridiculous! My doctor thinks I picked it up at the airport, and I guess that makes sense. My body was tired and run-down from a few stressful days preceding our trip, completely susceptible to bacteria from some germy little kid who didn't wash his hands.

I feel like I'm swallowing knives. I have to talk in a whisper, because if I move my tongue, I think I might die. The pain is excrutiating, and so is the fact that I can't just say things whenever I feel like it. No snippy comments about the movie we just watched, no yelling across the apartment to Aaron to turn his music down. (I actually had to walk over to him and wordlessly hand him a pair of headphones. It felt strange, this communicating without words).

To make matters worse, I had some kind of allergic reaction to the antibiotics that my doctor prescribed, causing me to vomit my way through last night. Disgusting, I know, but you really haven't lived until you've dry-heaved your already sore throat into oblivion.

Oh well. Enough complaining. The trip wasn't all bad... in fact, I didn't start getting sick until the last few days, so most of it was quite pleasant.

Pictures of happier times coming soon.

No comments: