Sunday, August 14, 2005

"There's nothing wrong with Ohio"

Our recent trip to Ohio was a blast. We flew up there for a few days to surprise my mother-in-law at her surprise 50th birthday party. Aaron and I, along with his sister and brothers, had been planning the party for months and it was, if I may say so myself, a huge success! She was completely bowled over. More than 80 people showed up, the weather was picture-perfect, and the planning/logistics went off without a hitch.

Speaking of surprises, who knew the Buckeye state had such redeeming qualities? Every time I've visited, I've been greeted with gray skies, followed by a blizzard of snow or a freezing rain. I was under the impression that winter was their only season. I moan and groan when Aaron tells me we're going for a visit. But, I can admit when I'm wrong (not really, but it sounds good here) and I was completely taken by the lush green trees, the fertile soil that produces zucchini the size of my thigh (see photo), and the ability to sit outside for more than 5 minutes without getting heat exhaustion. I saw my first tiny acorn, my first fireflies, and first "helicopter" leaves. I even saw my first apple tree!

With the exception of a very eye-opening drive through Amish country, the rest of our trip was somewhat uneventful in comparison to the excitement of the surprise party. We left on an early morning flight, and as I walked toward the rental car I noticed it was covered in dew. Another first.

Dare I say it? I was more than a little sad to say good-bye to my new friend, Ohio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marisa,
I loved seeing the glowing reports of my favorite state. It is amazing some of the things you just take for granted when you've seen it all your life, like the dew. At work I have to wear golloshes to keep my feet dry because of all the dew. If I didn't, I would easily get blisters since I walk so much at work. I am really glad you were able to enjoy your stay out here this time. I am happy you and Aaron will be coming out again for the holidays, I am sorry it won't be as pleasant weather-wise however. Speaking of changing opinions though, you know I always hated the desert after my Mojave experience, but actually visiting Pheonix showed me that, yes, even desert places can have redeeming qualities and I always enjoy coming out to see you two. Great blogs, keep it up. and tell Aaron to start being more romantic, he has to set a good example for five younger brothers.