Thursday, February 01, 2007

all things new

I find myself with a few spare hours tonight, a lovely surprise in this whirlwind of a month. The husband toils away quietly in the spare room, editing photos for his soon-to-be operational website, so there is ample opportunity for girlish pursuits like listening to this CD (one of their best yet, and I have all of them), eating Dreyer's Slow-Churned Cookies 'n' Cream ice cream and catching up on some beautiful visual blogs like Love Made Visible and 3191.

I blew past the New Year and missed that window of time where everyone out in blogger land talks about resolutions and fresh starts and new beginnings. So I'll keep it brief.

Last year, 2006, started off in the worst possible way. And although eventually things started to look up, the ordeal definitely left its dark imprint on our hearts and minds. The year moved itself forward, plodding steadily from day to day, collecting the dirt and dust and grime of ordinary life.

It has been raining here lately. And I love the rain, because it feels alive. Because it moves with conviction and resolve. Because it reveals vibrant color. Because it springs up new things.

For me, it's the best way to start a new year.

A clean slate. I'm ready.

We've got some big things happening in 2007. We plan to buy a house this summer, now that prices are reasonable and mortgage rates are still relatively low. Aaron will turn 30 in a couple of months. We're going to give the photography business a big push and jump in with two feet. We're taking control of our finances. We'll hit the 5 year relationship mark. We'll think about (and I can't believe I'm saying this) babies.

Babies! As if! How in the heck did I get old enough to think seriously about children? Outwardly, I pooh-pooh and brush-off anyone who brings it up. Which is everyone, by the way. The vultures (i.e. all three future grandparents) are circling.

But inside? I'm sort of excited, impatient even, for all the possibilities that have yet to take shape.

No comments: